Philanthropiece partnered with Boulder International Film Festival (BIFF) in 2010 to launch Call 2 Action, a program that offers concrete ways for filmgoers to take the energy and passion inspired by film and move from concern to action. We recognize that film can educate us and raise our awareness around certain issues and we have witnessed the ability of certain films to tug at the heart strings and make us want to jump into action to right the wrongs in our world. Through a list of Steps for Action, post-film discussions, presentations of local organizations associated with a film’s topic, filmgoers are able to engage beyond the viewing of the film. Visiting filmmakers at BIFF discuss not only the art of film making, but also the often explosive social and international issues their films present, and offer audiences a way to be simultaneously entertained, educated, and inspired into action. Local organizations whose work aligns with the theme of a Call 2 Action film provide the action steps and join the discussions as a platform to raise awareness of their work and engage an already interested group of people. We are also spreading this idea to film festivals across Colorado, our nation, and the globe via our Call 2 Action Toolkit.
Here’s a bit more about our work in our local community, and below is a look at a few Call 2 Action films from the 2012 Boulder International Film Festival:
Granito: How to Nail a Dictator
- About: A thrilling detective story when a documentary filmmaker is asked to use her film to help build a case for genocide.
- Local Non-Profit Partner: Philanthropiece & Reading Village
- Call 2 Action: Show your solidarity with the Guatemalan people by signing the Justice for Genocide petition.
- About: 11 wounded Afghanistan and Iraq Veterans share a road to recovery that takes them to the Himalayas to climb the 20,161 foot peak known as Lobuche.
- Local Non-Profit Partner: Veterans Helping Veterans Now
- Call 2 Action: Volunteer your time to give Veterans in Boulder County rides to the VA Medical Centers and Clinics throughout the Denver and Fort Collins regions.
- About: A documentary that shows shows how the devastating reality of breast cancer, which marketing experts have labeled a “dream cause,” becomes obfuscated by a shiny, pink story of success.
- Local Non-Profit Partner: Colorado Breast Cancer Coalition
- Call 2 Action: Join the National Action Network to support the movement to end breast cancer by 2020.
- About: Explore the GMO controversy from a village in India that uses genetically modified seed to U.S. government agencies that promote them.
- Local Non-Profit Partner: GMO-Free Boulder
- Call 2 Action: Boycott GMO foods at grocery stores and restaurants!
BOULDER INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
The Boulder International Film Festival (BIFF) has developed a reputation as one of the most influential young film festivals in the U.S., with a dedicated a portion of each year’s film lineup reserved for films that build a social consciousness.